Most memorable moments of 2012
Is it me or did 2012 just fly by? I swear we just ended 2011 and now 2013 is only hours away. Every year since Sophia was a mere 7 months old we’ve rang in the New Year as a family regardless of our plans. Mike and I enjoy staying close to home on nights like these because there are just too many people who make poor decisions on the road. And we’ve always made sure Sophia has been part of our plans no matter what. Well this year we planned on going to the house of one of our closest friends but those plans came to a screeching halt late last night when I found that my munchkin had Pediculus humanus capitis. That’s nerd for head lice. I’ll spare you the itchy details but we aren’t going anywhere for New Year’s Eve.
Well today while continuing to clean and disinfect every inch of my household I was browsing Facebook saw all these long winded status about people’s 2012 on my timeline. Everything from work/educational successes and new bundles of joy to swanky travels, home makeovers, and weigh loss achievements. I kind of thought to myself – what did I do in 2012? So I thought I would recap my most memorable moments in a list (my favorite format).
- At the start of the year, Sophia read her first book, Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, from cover to cover. In celebration, we made actual green eggs and ham for breakfast.
- Mike took Sophia and I to the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the Dayton Art Institute. I’ve traveled the world and seen beautiful works of art but this was an incredible experience.
- I traveled to Vegas for work. It was our National Sales Meeting and what an adventure it was as a young professional. I was named the MVP of my team for 2011, a great honor and only motivated me to succeed further.
- In March I got an invite to Pottermore. As an enormous Harry Potter fan (HP FOR LIFE!) this was a big deal. Though the books were read and all the movies watched (109323 times), the magic of Harry Potter wasn’t over. I’m not ready to let go. I never will be.
- On April 25th, my sweet baby niece Layla joined the family. She’s the third and youngest of my sister’s kids (and possibly my favorite but shhhh). Layla has a smile that melts my heart. I love her to pieces.
- In May my Sophia turned 6 and finished kindergarten. It all happened at once it was just too much for me, as you might already know. My baby is a big girl and I can’t stand it.
- My month long birthday was the best one I’ve had yet! I ate my through the month and as a foodie this wasn’t a problem at all, won a trip, sat second row for Wicked AND spent a wonderful time with my closest friends and family. It’s going to be hard to top all that but I might try in 2013.
- Mike and I went to Punta Cana for 5 nights. It was an all expense paid trip that I won at work from a performance based raffle. It was the most carefree and relaxing trip we’ve ever taken. I’ll never ever forget it.
- I’m horrified of heights BUT I went zip lining in Punta Cana. I’ll never do anything like that again but looking pack at it – despite my fears – it was awesome!
- Sophia started 1st grade, bus riding and homework doing. It’s scary to see how fast she’s growing up but I’m excited for her. She passionate about reading, writing and art. I can’t wait to see what this year brings for her.
- We added a little (furry) bundle of joy to our family in August. Ollivander (I told you I am a HP geek) is a sweet Yorkie that made a wonderful addition to our family. He’s full of energy and everything to him is more exciting than the last.
- I saw John Legend preform at the Downtown Dayton Revival.
- I joined Weight Watchers to finally get a handle on my weight. I’ve lost about 20 lbs and though I have ways to go – I am making progress.
- We attended the midnight showing of Breaking Dawn Part II. Yes, I like Twilight. Judge me all you want because I don’t care. It was the end of an era and I am so glad we saw it with great friends.
- I read over 10 books this year… just for fun. I love literature!
- This Thanksgiving, my sister and I hosted dinner for our parents and my in laws. I made the turkey using my mother’s recipe. This wasn’t my first turkey but this was the first time my mom had ever had my turkey. She’s a great cook and a strongly opinionated Egyptian woman so this was a big deal for me. And… she LOVED IT! I was even told it was better than her own turkey. I’m proud of this. Very very proud.
- I started my very own Happiness Jar. Everyday (most days) I write my happiest moment of the day down. I got the idea from my new favorite author, Elizabeth Gilbert. She even tweeted me back after I posted a picture!
- Christmas is my favorite time of year and this year we started a new tradition – our Elf on the Shelf, Simon. I think it was almost more fun for Mike and I than Sophia.
- I tried new recipes this year and for the first time I made Rice Krispies Treats, chex mix, bourbon chicken, potato skins, fish tacos, cookie peanut butter cup brownies, fried eggs and epic deli sandwiches.
- Just when I thought it could get better, I hit a huge professional milestone at work. I’m excited and blessed to have exceeded my professional goals for the year!
- My mom retired after 38 years of dedicated work. I am so proud of her achievements and success. I hope that someday I can say that I am even a third the woman she is.
All in all, it’s been a wonderful year full of so much love, laughter and happiness. I can’t wait to see what 2013 brings us. Wishing you all a happy and safe New Year!